We’re sure you’ve heard them mentioned roughly a thousand times over the last few months. But what is a boutique hotel? These are the types of hotels that are all the rage today: a different kind of hotel, so unique that it will be the first thing you talk about when you go back to work after your vacation. And we’re here to tell you all about them!
Contrary to what the name might suggest, these are not hotels that sell French fashion or luxury brands (although it’s not a bad idea).
‘Boutique hotel’ is a relatively new concept that popped up in New York in the 1980s, breaking all the rules of traditional accommodation.
Gone were the days of functional, standardized hotels run by large chains as a new hotel concept as necessary as it is innovative hit the market: making guests feel at home away from home.
With this approach, boutique hotels have managed to create a world of experiences that cater to guests to make their stay more than just a stay, but an added attraction to their trip. Cool, right?
That’s why boutique hotels take special care with even the smallest of details, from a location in key areas of the city and a décor designed by renowned interior designers to outstanding personalized attention and the finest ingredients in their restaurants, all designed to turn the hotel into a one-of-a-kind host.
Why settle for “I’m good with just a bed” or “As long as it’s clean…”? You’re already on a trip, make the most of it and do it right!
Boutique hotels are a great way to really get to know the destination. Just like those friends who live abroad and make great guides.
You’ll find them in key areas of the city, housed in historically significant buildings, or simply new buildings where history meets elegance to blend seamlessly into the surroundings. Sound good, right? But wait, there’s more.
Some are designed around a concept, others are home to different themed suites. But what really makes boutique hotels special are their unique personality. Because the have it (honestly). Some are fun, some quiet, and others eccentric. No two people are alike, and neither are two boutique hotels.
And boutique hotels are designed to be your friends. Like those ones who live abroad. And we haven’t lost our mind…just stay at one and see for yourself.
What to know more about boutique hotels? We’re here to give you some compelling reasons to choose a boutique hotel the next time you travel. Keep scrolling!
- Become an Instagram master. Don’t kid yourself. It’s a good reason and you know it. Try it yourself at the Room Mate Mario.
- Look like you’re having breakfast in an art gallery. Without stepping foot outside of the Room Mate Giulia.
- Take a dip while sipping on a cocktail. In the middle of winter in Times Square. Tempting, right? You can at the Room Mate Grace.
- Enjoy a massage in a hotel designed in pure Wes Anderson style. It’s the Room Mate Emir!
- The best views in Barcelona? Holding a gin and tonic, please. It’s yours at the Room Mate Anna.
- A Michelin-star sushi dinner at the recently opened Kirei restaurant at the Room Mate Valeria.
- Wake up to fabulous views of the marina and its boats at the Room Mate Aitana.
- Feel like a lord and enjoy Miami’s best cocktails surrounded by palm trees and stunning urban art on the terrace of the Room Mate Lord Balfour.
- The best party in Madrid? You’re invited to join the party at the Room Mate Óscar.
- Relive Italian history by staying in a 19th-century building. Too classic? What if we told you that it is decorated by the prestigious interior designer Lorenzo Castillo? See for yourself at the Room Mate Isabella.
Have you made up your mind? Which one do you like best?